Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hola! My name is Tiffany Du Mez and I arrived in Bolivia about 3 weeks ago. I will be an intern here for the Timmer family through International Teams until December 20th (My family wants me home for Christmas J ). The day before I left to come to Bolivia I graduated from North Park University, which is where my story begins….

North Park University is a small, liberal arts college on the north side of Chicago, Illinois. NPU prides itself on pushing into big issues including racism, poverty, and other social injustices. Through this, NPU focus’ on taking what we learn in the classroom and bringing it to the ‘real world’: from the classroom to the community. In May of my junior year I took one of the 8 (Appalachia, New Orleans, Alaska, Mexico, Thailand, Zambia are the others) global partnership trips through our University Ministries department. My eyes were opened, my heart was changed, and I had to go back.

After a lot of good byes and even more prayer, I have found myself living in the Hacenda (house on the hill) with the seven other interns. So far, I have seen things I have expected to see, while felt things I could never have imagined. Although each day is a struggle to be away from my family, friends, and mentors the smiles we create, the change we see, and the hope we bring makes each day worth it.

Joys and things I’ve learned:

  1. Always carry toilet paper
  2. Futbol games mean business in South America
  3. Ketchup is International
  4. God is faithful

Prayer requests

  1. I am still very much learning the language (and still will be in December) so I pray that I will be given continued grace with my abilities. And continued growth with my skills.
  2. Continued safety and health. I have been so blessed to not become sick as many around me have and I am very grateful for that.

I think that’s about it. More of my adventures can be found at my own blog (tdumez86.blogspot.com)

Love and blessings

Tiff

No comments:

Post a Comment